Top food blogs

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tvorogli pechenye (Cottage cheese biscuits)


This biscuits remind me my childhood, we used buy them at school's cafeteria and enjoy during break times:) I don't know about the origin of this recipe, but I decided to post it in this blog, as this recipe is very popular in Uzbekistan. These biscuits are soft inside, a little crunchy outside, flavorful and soo yummy!!!
I made them out of my own cottage cheese, but you can always use ready made cottage cheese from the market. In case, if you are interested in my cottage cheese recipe, it is here.
Ingredients:
200 grams of cottage cheese
200 grams of butter
1 egg
Half a tsp of baking powder or baking soda
Pinch of salt
About 2 cups of plain flour
Sugar
Finely grate cottage cheese, using the smallest eye of the grater. Chop up soft butter with cottage cheese, then add in egg and mix well. Add in baking powder, salt and mix again. Gradually add in flour, just to shape soft, but not sticky dough. I can't tell the exact amount of flour, as it depends on the size of the egg and the texture of the cottage cheese, so just pay attention that dough is soft enough, but not too sticky-it must be comfortable to work with. Wrap the dough and put in fridge for an hour. Then, divide the dough in three-four parts and roll out each piece separately. Cut out circle shapes using cookie cutter or just regular glass. Layer some sugar on a flat plate. You can use white or brown sugar, doesn't matter. In Uzbekistan we mostly use white sugar, but I prefer to use brown sugar. Layer one circle on top of the sugar, softly press with the palm of your hands, then fold the sugary side in, then again fold, again sugar side in, at the end, sprinkle some sugar on top.



Bake in preheated oven, using medium heat, until nice light golden in color. Mmmm, yummy!

Enjoy with your family and friends!
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Malika,

    I just wanted to say that everything on your blog looks absolutely delicious. As a Mongolian I've noticed that many of the dishes you mention are also staples in my country for example the horezem meat patties we call huushuur, the flat bread we call gaimber, some of the native soups etc.. It is obvious that Uzbeks and Mongols share some history and I am delighted that Uzbek cuisine has developed differently in variety and taste. Us Mongols are puritanical about our food, we love our soup, milk tea, and dairy but Chantuu(Uzbek) cuisine is very popular in summer, especially palov. Anyway your work makes my mouth water, I will be experimenting with many of your dishes :P

    Amara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amara, Mongolia and Uzbekistan truly have some history, so it's not surprising that we have many of similar dishes. Whole Central Asian countries have same roots in history, so we have a lot of similarities in culture, traditions and of course cuisine. I am curious about Mongolian cuisine, so now on I will be searching and trying some of your recipes too:)I am sure it is as rich as Uzbek cuisine. Amara, thank you for your such warm attention to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I like to cook exotic (for me) dishes from all world - Arabic, Chinese, Indian, Afghan... I will try recipe for kebab from liver :) Cuisines of former USSR are for me something new - I know only Lithuanian, Russian and Ukrainian.
    Greetings from Cracow, Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. pishiriqning korinishi judayam zor,mazasi ham yahshi bolsa kerak, 375 F da pishirsa boladimi?
    Nozima

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nozimahon, tugrisini aytsam, meni gazim eski model bu'lgani uchun gradusini ku'rsatmaydi, shuning uchun afsuski, sizga aniq gradusini aytolmayman, men bu pechenyelarni gazimni pastki qismida, u'rtacha olovda pishirdim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zim, I loved that you like to try different cuisines and enjoying that! And thank you for greetings:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to try these for my winter party in a few weeks. And I have to say the pierogies at the top of your page look delicious! Do you have a recipe for those also?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are "Somsa" s :) and I have the recipe here:
    http://uzbekcooking.blogspot.com/2009/11/somsa.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. how much sugar do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHich is it baking soda or baking powder

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really didn't measure sugar, I just pour some to plate and use more when I needed. You can use to your taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the food! You’re amazing. This menu is fantastic, It sure will help everyone who’s looking for a perfect menu like this. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    zonia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Malika opa, en azindan malzemeleri özbekçesinide ekleseniz, bazen inglizceden tercume yaparken tam hangi malzemeni demek istediginizi anliyamiyorum. Tesekkurler
    Iwlarizda omad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 200 grams tvorog
      200 grams saryog
      1 tuhum
      Yarim choy qoshiq soda
      Bir chimdim tuz
      tahminan2 stakan un
      Shakar

      Delete