Top food blogs

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Buhorocha bahsh palov (Pilaf with greens)

                                     
Hi everyone!!! Its summer in Uzbekistan, weather is so pleasant, days are so hot and I am enjoying it for sure:) I love summer, maybe its because I was born in this beautiful season:)
We just got back to Uzbekistan. My Tashkent is so beautiful! Fruits are so sweet! Flowers, trees are so amazing! I have all of my friends and family around me, calling me everyday, just to hear my voice and I feel so loved and happy! I love you all so much!!! I thank Universe for everything!!! I want to believe that you are also happy and joyful...I pray for that...
So, I am here with another recipe which is being requested for many times:) This kind of pilaf is very popular in Bukhara region and it is mostly made in spring times, when greens are fresh. It helps to strengthen immune system and gives all needed vitamins and nutrition that human body needs in spring time. Greens are used instead of carrots (mostly spinach, coriander and dill are used, but you can also use your favourite greens).
Ingredients:
150 ml of clarified butter or vegetable oil
300 grams of meat (beef or lamb), cut in big chunks
2 onions, peeled and largely chopped
Big bunch of spinach, bunch of fresh coriander (all together 350 grams of chopped greens)
2,5 cups of rice
Salt to taste
1 tbsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
Method:
      Finely heat the oil and brown meat over high heat.
      Add in onions and fry until onions are soft.
   Lower the heat and evenly layer all of the greens on top of the fried meat and onions.
        Finely wash the rice and immediately layer over greens, mix carefully and add in 1 cup of water.  

           Set the heat on high and wait until it will come to boil. You will see how greens will start to give their juice and cover up the rice, which is the reason why we don’t put much water.    Add in salt and spices.   Observe your pilaf; if juice of the greens and poured water will not be enough to cover the rice for 2 cm, then you can add in a little more water. Or if greens are too juicy and will give too much juice, you can reduce the water carefully with the spoon. This is the tricky stage, as you can't predict the juiciness of the greens.  Let it boil and wait until all the liquid is evaporated.    When all water is evaporated, mix only the top of pilaf, set the heat on low, cover the lid and cook for about 20 min. Open up the lid after 20 min and again mix only the top of the pilaf and cook for 10-15 min more or until rice is properly cooked.

      When pilaf is ready, finely and carefully mix all of the pilaf. You will see how the colour will turn out to be  slightly greenish. Mmmm, this pilaf tastes just heavenly!!!  Serve it with fresh salad made of just tomatoes and onion on side.
      Enjoy! With lots of love!!!
      Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hello. Very nice looking and I am sure that tasty also!! :) and seems that photos were done at abroad :) I hope you will keep continue on posting new recipes. Umida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Umida for nice words! And surely I will continue with the recipes. By the way, photos were done by me as always:)

      Delete
  2. It's nice to read your new posts! Welcome back :-) May I ask what kind of rice do you recommend for this dish? Basmati? Thanks. -- Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, you are welcome! I think all kind of long grain rice will go well for this dish. I usually use basmati or afghani rice.

      Delete
  3. Hi Malika

    I love to read your posts. I want to visit Samarkand and Bukhara some time in future. Please introduce us with the crafts arts and culture as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanzina Nasreen, thank you for good words. I was also thinking about making posts about our culture and crafts, as I am finally back in Uzbekistan:)thank you for the support and the idea, now I will be sure that its appropriate:)

      Delete
  4. Really good and easy recipe. Looks delicious really. I want you to show your talent in competition I saw. You are the right person. It is all about to create your traditional dish and represent your country. What do you say? Here are the details
    http://www.slideshare.net/IngredientMatcher/competition-from-ingredient-matcher-cook-your-national-dish-25773568

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello.. How are you ?
    dish was amazing think so
    cause of m just read and my mouth full of water..

    ReplyDelete